Monday 30 August 2010

Japanese Day

Yesterday was international Japanese day, well it was in our house anyway. After the success of my sushi  making class last weekend I decided to give it a whirl on my own so I set about making sushi, pumpkin korokee and also steamed some dumplings for good measure.  In total I made 5 different types of sushi, smoked salmon maki, cucumber maki, pepper maki, cucumber,salmon & pepper futomaki and some California rolls.  All the sushi turned out rather well apart from my inconsistencies in sizes, which is definately a work on for next time.  The pumpkin korokee turned out well, even though it was actually butternut squash korokee but the Katsu sauce a la Yo Sushi recipe was shocking.  Next time I'm suspicious of a recipe that combines tomato ketchup and HP sauce I will take note and realise that it will taste like tomato ketchup and brown sauce and will not magically reinvent itself as something delicious.  The dumplings were also very nice but they were a bit cheaty due to being ready made from the oriental supermarket.  Overall I would give my dinner 9.0 out of 10.  Today its Vietnam day and noodle soup with Gyoza shall be on the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment